“It doesn’t get any better than this!” These are the words of someone who feels they’ve reached a high point and can begin to enjoy the fruit of their labor.
That is exactly where Solomon is in 1 Kings chapters 9-10. He has arrived!
- He’s completed the most magnificent temple and palace in all of history.
- He has the blessing of God upon his life and his reign.
- He’s built projects to his heart’s content.
- He has acquired chariots, horses; fleets of ships; and tons of gold, silver, and jewels.
- He is the wisest man on the planet, and people all over the known world come to experience his wisdom and wealth.
“It doesn’t get any better than this!”
But, as you read of all this in 1 Kings chapters 9-10, you begin to get uneasy. Much like a piece of music that keeps building and climbing to greater and greater heights, you begin to wonder… “when and how will it all come down?”
The answer to that question is alluded to in 1 Kings 9:6. It’s as if the writer of 1 Kings is dropping a clue as to what will eventually happen in chapter 11 and following.
The sad thing is, it didn’t have to end. We’re told in 1 Kings 9:4 that all Solomon had to do was to continue to follow God with integrity and godliness, keeping His laws and commands. It’s such a small thing to ask, in light of all the benefits Solomon was experiencing.
In light of all that God has done for us…and all He promises to do for us…following His commands is such a small thing to ask. Why would we not do this and forfeit all we’ve received?