Ever feel insignificant? Ever feel like you’re just a common, everyday person with no chance of making a major impact on the world?
In the book of Exodus, we have:
- A book containing the mightiest miracles God has ever done, aside from the resurrection of Jesus.
- A book tellimg of the marvelous beginnings of the nation of Israel and their worship of God.
- A book recounting the giving of the 10 Commandments.
- A book telling of the mighty exploits of Moses.
- A book revealing the actual personal name of God!
Isn’t it interesting that a book containing such amazing things does not begin with any thing that amazing. Instead, chapter 1 of Exodus begins with the story of two simple, down-to-earth, behind-the-scenes midwives.
Little did these midwives know that their simple faithfulness to God and to their everyday tasks would in fact rock the existing Egyptian government. Their faithfulness would make possible the entrance of a deliverer and the formation of a brand new nation of Israel.
Psalm 139:16, speaking of God, tells us…”Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, everyone of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” (ESV)
Who you are, and where you are was all foreseen and engineered by God before He formed anything in creation. You are a part of his eternal, creative plan. So never underestimate your place in life or the impact that your faithfulness can have on the arc of history. There is no such thing as a small part to play in the service of God.
Bret Legg is the Teaching and Counseling Pastor at Warren Baptist Church in Augusta, GA.