Go to any bookstore, browse the business and leadership section, and you’ll find many books that supposedly contain the secrets of success. People want to know the steps, the formulas, and the ingredients that will make them successful.
In 2 Chronicles chapter 24, you find one man’s story of success and failure. Joash is the seven-year-old boy-king whom Jehoiada the priest had hidden as an infant to protect him from assassination. He becomes a very successful ruler by engaging in three specific behaviors.
- First, he focused on what mattered most…the presence and glory of God.
- Second, he persistently planned and worked toward what mattered most.
- Third, he had people in his life who were dedicated to what mattered most.
The right focus, the right effort, and the right influences led to Joash’s success.
But when Joash changed his focus, his efforts, and his influences, he became a great failure. To the point that his life fell apart and his people turned on him. (1 Chron. 24:17-23)
Ask yourself these questions:
- What is my focus?
- How do I spend my efforts?
- Who are the people influencing me?
Honestly answering these questions will quickly reveal why your life is going in the direction it’s going. Don’t make the mistake that Joash made. Keep your focus, efforts, and influences on what matters most. The presence and glory of God.